Monday, February 7, 2011

It's Black History Month!!!!


I hear so many people complain during Black history month that it's not fair that we get the shortest month of the year to recognize our contributions and that we should celebrate our heritage all year long not just during one month. To the first statement I say so what, lets make it the best month for our people that we can. I don't believe that complaining helps anything. I much rather use the time to learn and empower myself. As for the second statement, I say let's do it.  No one is stopping you from picking up that book and learning. No one is stopping you from sharing your knowledge of black history with the less informed folk in your circle. Don't think for a second that someone else is going to do it for you because their not.

The schools teach the same rehashed messages about black history to our kids every year. Yeah, I know we invented the cotton gin, the traffic light, MLK was assassinated, white people abused us, we get it. There is so much more though that never gets touched on. Why was I never told about the Tuskegee Airmen, the Tuskegee experiments, the Buffalo Soldiers? What about the Black Panthers? I would have loved to hear about the skill and bravery of black pilots in spite of their abuse and mistreatment. How they endured so much to simply prove that we are equal.


We need to hear these stories. We need to know that we are capable of more than simply catching a ball or reciting catchy phases over a banging beat. We are a people capable of changing the world.

Each one teach one,

Serious Black

No comments: