Sunday, August 24, 2008

My new BFF


Sorry Khalid, sorry Jay, Sorry D, you guys are no longer my best friends. My new BFF is Arty! Not really, but the kid, he's only 19, gets much love for what he told me last night. I was chatting with the fellas at work and out of the blue the kid asked me how old I was. I was a little reluctant to tell him because I had just gone through a rather depressing period not 24 hours early. You see the previous day was my birthday and not a very good one. My people showed love and my wife went out of her way to make me feel special, thanks baby, but it was still the worst birthday I have ever had. The kid gave me the best gift of all, a little confidence booster. He was shocked when I told him I was 31. He said I looked 25 and that if I shaved my goatee I would look even younger. I wanted to hung the little bastard.


I have always used my b-day as a reflection point for my life, a time to judge my progress and assess my potential. Well, when I did my usual introspective review I was not please. Recent events have left me feeling inadequate and empty. I didn't like what I saw when I looked in the mirror. I was in a major funk, that's putting it lightly. Listening to the kid reminded me that things are not always what they seem, your reality is not always the reality. I looked into the mirror and saw a sad excuse for a man looking back, the kid looked at me saw a cool young dude. Yeah, I added the cool part, so what.


Thanks for the confidence booster kid! I owe you big time.

1 comment:

achoiceofweapons said...

Hey Dude,
I used the most flattering pic of you! Happy Birthday!
Jaycee